Sopa Lodges would like to acknowledge the team at Lake Naivasha Sopa Resort for achieving a Silver Eco-Rating, bringing the total to four properties with this level of certification.
Ecotourism Kenya, defines Ecotourism as ‘the involvement of tourists in environmental conservation activities directly linked to addressing human development needs, and promotes equitable sharing of benefits accrued from tourism with local communities while supporting their nature conservation values’. Their vision is to bring together conservation, communities and tourism in a responsible manner and the principles governing ecotourism include;
- Encourage travel to natural areas
- Minimize impact of tourism activities on natural attractions
- Recognize and build awareness about local conservation values and their importance to society
- Provide direct benefits and empowerment for local people at destinations without retrogression on environmental, cultural or local living standards.
- Respect local people, their customs and culture
- Support sustainable development of local economies through direct involvement and participatory decision-making
Ecotourism Kenya conducted an on-site eco-rating assessment audit of the resort, for the purpose of certifying the tourist accommodation facility’s compliance to ecotourism principles and best practices. Sopa Lodges continue to support and develop the local community and strive to ensure our carbon footprint is kept at a minimum.
Congratulations to the team for their commitment and passion for ensuring we achieved a silver eco rating.